How To Get Your Teenage Skin Looking Spotless
By Merri Kuyumjian
Being a teenager is hard work. Your body is going through changes, your social groups are evolving, your hobbies and interests are developing, you’re trying to figure out what you want to do with your life, and unfortunately your skin keeps breaking out!!! Acne, breakouts, super oily skin, and super dry skin are the types of issues teenagers tend to face while growing up. To ease some of the pain, we have come up with some tips to help you achieve a clearer and healthier looking skin.
Here are some tips and tricks to clear your skin:
- Cleanse: It is so important to wash your face with a good skin cleanser at least twice a day. Washing you face helps remove dirt, sweat, oil, dead skin flakes, and excess oil that causes acne. Jennifer Rock from the skin nerd states, “cleansing is always Step 1 in your skincare routine. By cleansing your skin, you clean all the impurities of the day away from it…” (theskinnerd.com). Based on the type of skin you have (oily, dry, combination, or normal), you should tone your skin with toner, followed by any treatments or serums, and finally moisturiser!!!
- Do Not Pop Your Pimples: Although it is very tempting and satisfying, do not touch your face when a pimple occurs. Popping pimples causes acne scars for the rest of your life and irritation on your skin. Ramona Sinha from Style Craze recommends, “applying a bit of tea tree oil (diluted with water) directly on the pimple or acne. This will help clear the infection and kill any remaining bacteria” (stylecraze.com)
- SPF: Cloudy? SPF. Snowy? Windy? SPF. Sunscreen protects your skin from UV rays and protects your skin from getting damaged. Additionally, it allows your skin to have an even tone and decreases your risk of getting skin cancer. Most importantly, sunscreen keeps you looking young. The number one cause of premature aging of the face is ultraviolet exposure. By wearing sunscreen, you are slowing down the development of wrinkles and leathery skin(unitypoint.org).
- Healthy Diet: Teenagers tend to indulge on junk food, especially sweet and salty foods. Although these foods may satisfy your cravings in the moment, they make it difficult to maintain clear and healthy skin. Scientists have discovered that acne-prone teenagers are more likely to break out if they don’t eat healthier foods and hydrate. Eating fruits and veggies and cutting back on sodas and sweets is always a good starting point for having healthier skin.
- Practice Good Hygiene: You can spend as much money as you want on skincare products, but if you don’t change your bedsheets, wash your hair regularly, or sanitize your everyday technologies, your skin will continue to breakout. It is important to change your bedsheets every week because bacteria can quickly build up on them and putting your face on dirty sheets every night completely defeats the purpose of your skincare routine. Additionally, washing your hair everyday or every other day is important to wash away the sweat and oil built up on your head. Finally, you should always sanitize your phone and headphones to make sure you don’t get any germs on your face that can cause you to breakout.
- Clean Your Makeup Brushes: Be kind to your makeup tools and wash them regularly!!! Washing your brushes and sponges will get rid of dirt, oils, and bacteria that build up over time and become harmful for your skin. Using dirty makeup tools can cause you to have breakouts and blemishes, so try establishing a cleaning schedule for your brushes and sponges to ensure cleanliness for your face. Always remember clean makeup brushes= clearer skin and a smooth makeup application!!! At MuMe, we promote this agenda everyday to help our customers achieve their skincare goals and dreams, and we hope our products help get them there.
We hope these tips and tricks can help you achieve healthy and glowing skin. Always remember to be confident and happy in your skin no matter what insecurities you may encounter!!!